WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
Dental crowns or “caps” are covers that are placed over a tooth. The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, size, and function. The crown can make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks.
REASONS A CROWN MAY BE NEEDED IF:
- A cavity that is too large for a filling to repair.
- You have a gap or are missing a tooth and need a bridge.
- A tooth is cracked, worn down or otherwise weakened
- Root canal treatment was rendered the crown will protect the restored tooth.
- If you want to cover a badly shaped or discolored tooth and improve your smile.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS MADE OF?
Crowns are made of various materials such as porcelain fused to metal, ceramic, metal alloys, or composite resin. When a crown is made, the material is often colored to blend the color of your teeth.
The material of your crown is determined by many factors, such as:
The location and function of the tooth
The position of the gum tissue
The amount of tooth that shows when you smile
The color and shade of tooth
When you visit our dental offices, we will determine which is right for you.